I've been meaning to post this:
Tom (The Hammer) DeLay has been convicted BY A JURY OF HIS PEERS (Not really, I doubt there they were all millionaire power brokers) of putting his thumb on the scales of the electoral process in Texas.
He is appealing.
Now, the trial is in Austin, which is very possibly hostile to him, so the judges may rule against him more often than they should. But in the end, it will be in front of the State Supreme Court.
So, he's appealing in front of people he helped get elected and they will be the final arbiters. He's not going to jail.
Though, I have to say, I really wish he would. I personally think that campaign finance should be a felony, possibly even leading to a citizen being stripped of their citizenship. I'm tired of hearing about elected officials paying fines after they have violated campaign laws, they keep the benefits of their crime. It may not have made a difference but it might have.
Tom (The Hammer) DeLay has been convicted BY A JURY OF HIS PEERS (Not really, I doubt there they were all millionaire power brokers) of putting his thumb on the scales of the electoral process in Texas.
He is appealing.
Now, the trial is in Austin, which is very possibly hostile to him, so the judges may rule against him more often than they should. But in the end, it will be in front of the State Supreme Court.
So, he's appealing in front of people he helped get elected and they will be the final arbiters. He's not going to jail.
Though, I have to say, I really wish he would. I personally think that campaign finance should be a felony, possibly even leading to a citizen being stripped of their citizenship. I'm tired of hearing about elected officials paying fines after they have violated campaign laws, they keep the benefits of their crime. It may not have made a difference but it might have.